Apple’s iOS is great but not perfect. This is partly because Apple lives by the 80/20 rule. This usually means prioritizing simplicity and elegance above all.
I was curious to see if I could get iOS even closer to perfect (for me) by tweaking the other 20%. I Jailbroke my iPhone 5 to test the idea.
Jailbreaking often conjures up images of stealing software and illegal hacking. Really it’s just a way to tweak iOS to your liking. It can be abused just like anything else.
So far I’m happy with the changes. Here are a few things I was able to do.
- Hide Newsstand, Game Center, and Notes apps.
- Remove folder animations, and close folders automatically.
- Allow single tap clearing of notification center items.
- Set the default browser to Chrome.
- Set the default maps to Google Maps.
Improve The UI
- Cleaner status bar and better spacing - no battery icon, carrier name, am/pm or app names. Smaller icons, smaller toolbars, and five dock icons.
- A much better app switcher.
- Detect when I’m home and disable passcode lock.
- Move multiple apps between screens.
- Triple tap home button to unlock.
- Open apps from the lock screen with gestures.
- Flashlight from notification center.